Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Name Game...

I have always had a short list of favourite names scribbled in the columns of diaries or front covers of notepads. I remember as a girl calling my doll Siobhan Rose (pronounced Shi-vaun). In teenage years my favourite girls name was Bella Wilde (notice only girls names... because that was what I was going to have "of course").  With the release of the teen-emo-glam-vampire trilogy movies "Twilight" (with the lead character named Bella) that name had to be removed from my list.

I spent many evenings pouring over name books and google searching name meanings. I loved refining and re-refining my extensive list of quite alternative names. I also loved pairing these with quirky middle names too. The whole process was exciting, creative and fun to think you were responsible for gifting a new human to the planet their very own name.

I did not want anything traditional. No "Matthew, Mark, Luke or John", no "Sarah, Jessica, Anne or Elizabeth" would ever be my child's name. There was also one other slightly important factor in all of this... oh yeah, my husband's opinion. I would spend hours coming up with new names to add to my list, only to read these aloud to my partner to have them "poo, pooed" almost instantaneously. I would get annoyed and say "well what names do you like then?". He would usually have no names to add, just a "I don't know,,, but none of those!" (Ugh! Men!). I think in the beginning we both instantly dismissed each other suggestions without even considering them as possible options just purely because we are both such strongly opinionated personalities and whoever ended up choosing the name had somehow WON the competition. We eventually started to realise that at some point a name needed to be agreed on... so we needed to soften a little and contemplate some of each others suggestions.

I have decided to share with you my favourites list below. Maybe, just maybe, our unborn little one's name is hidden on the list somewhere... We will have to wait and see ;)

GIRLS
Willow Valentine
Kiki Star
Stella Noir
Minka Belle
Indie
Audrey Noir
Valentina Noir
Genevieve
Madeline
Lulu
Queenie
Poppy
Coco
Vixen
Lotti
Ava
Mia
Harper
Hazel
Pearl
Xena
Freda
Isis
Maya
Astra
Lola
Ruby
Amity
Tully
Mika
Fleur
Olive
Jinx
Posie
Maisie
Kitty
Pascal
Silver
Minnie
Ewa (pronounced "Ever")

BOYS
Austin
August
Ari
Artemis
Artee (pronouned Art-tay)
Archie
Archer
Banjo
Claude
Dante
Duke
Eden
Earl
Eli
Ezra
Forrest
Hunter
Harvey
Ives
Indie
Indigo
Klaus
Monte
Neo
Onyx
Otto
Orson
Oberon
Oscar
Pascal
Regan
Rain
Scout
Sidney
Taj
Taki (pronounced tarki)
Takoda (friend to everyone)
Tucker
Tyson
Taro
Valentino
Wolfe
Rocco
Zen

I am proud of the alternative list of quirky names above and happy to share them with you. [NOTE TO READER; If you are one of my friends or family, please keep in mind these are my possible choices for this baby and future babies. If you consider using one of the names on here just keep in mind I may still use it too. 

I will leave you with this fun piece of writing from the fantasy fiction book "The Assassin and the Underworld". A fun and playful piece about names...


“What's your name?" he asked above the roar of the music.

She leaned close. "My name is Wind," she whispered. "And Rain. And Bone and Dust. My name is a snippet of a half-remembered song."

He chuckled a low, delightful sound. She was drunk and silly, and so full of the glory of being young and alive and in the capital of the world that she could hardly contain herself.

"I have no name," she purred. "I am whoever the keepers of my fate tell me to be."

He grasped her by her wrist, running a thumb along the sensitive skin underneath. "Then let me call you Mine for a dance or two.” 
― Sarah J. MaasThe Assassin and the Underworld



No comments:

Post a Comment